Publish your Application on Google Play
This tutorial helps you in the 3 main steps of your Android application development :
- Prepare to develop an Android application
- Create an application installer with HAWK
- Publish your app on Google Play
Step 1: Create a Google account
If you already have a Google account, go to Step 2: Register as an Android developer
- Go to to the Google Account (https://accounts.google.com) home page,
- click Sign up,
- fill in the form,
- select I agree... and click Create my account.
- Go to the Google Play home page,
- enter your email and password and click Sign in,
- fill in the form and click Continue,
- select I agree and click I agree, continue,
- click Continue,
- fill in the form with your bank details and click Agree and Continue,
- once you're done, go back to the Google Play publish home page (https://play.google.com/apps/publish/Home).
You have created a project in HAWK and you have the following assets:
- Icon in .png format
- Exit icon in .png format
- Header logo in .png format
- Footer logo in .png format
- Download logo in .png format
- Private/public key pair
Step 1: Create the application installer
- Right-click the project folder and choose Create application installers,
- enter your platform username and password,
- select device(s) and click Finish,
The deployment view appears.
- right-click the platform name or default and click Open in Explorer,
The .apk folder appears in your explorer.
Step 2: Install the application
- Connect your device to your PC with a USB cable or with Bluetooth
- download the application installer on your device and launch the installation.
You can now test your application on a device.
Checklist: Before you start
- You have tested the application on targeted Android devices.
- You have turned off debugging facilities and removed unnecessary data and files.
- You have defined a version number for your application.
- You have added an End User License Agreement (EULA) in your application.
- You have generated a pair of private and public keys with Keytool.
- You have generated and signed the .apk file with HAWK.
Step 1: Upload your application
- Sign in on Google Play https://play.google.com/apps/publish/Home,
- click Upload your application,
- click Browse and choose your .apk file,
- click Upload.
Step 2: Upload the assets
- In the Screenshots field, click Browse and choose at least 2 screnshots,
- click Upload,
- in the High Resolution Application Icon field, add a hi-res application icon,
- in the Promotional graphic field, you can add a add a promotional graphic,
- in the Feature Graphic field, you can add a feature graphic,
- in the Promotional Video field, you can add a promotional video link,
- select Marketing Opt Out if you want to limit the use of your application to Google-owned online or mobile properties.
Step 3: Fill in the listing details
- In the Language field, you can set the application default language, click Add language to indicate the additional languages in which the application is available,
in the Title field, enter the name of the application,
in the Description field, enter a description of your application,
if you are updating an already-published application, fill in the Recent Changes field with a description of the new features,
in the Promo Text field, enter a short text to promote your application,
in the Application type field, choose either Applications or Games,
in the Category field, choose the category corresponding to your application,
in the Price field:
leave Free if you want to make your application available for free,
if you want to sell your application, click on Setup a merchant account at Google Checkout in order to specify a bank account for payouts.
If you are selling your application through Google Play, add the support for google Play Licensing in order to control the access to your application based on whether the current user has purchased it.
For complete information about Google Play Licensing, see Applications Licensing (http://developer.android.com/guide/market/licensing/index.html).
Step 4: Fill in the publishing options
- In Copy Protection, select:
- Off so that your application can be copied from the device it has been downloaded to,
- On so that your application can be downloaded from the Android Market only.
- In the Content Rating field, select the target audience of your application, learn more here: http://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=188189,
- select All locations so that your application can be downloaded by anyone who has access to the Android Market, wherever they are located, or clear All locations if you want to filter the countries where people can have access to your application,
- in the Supported Devices field, check that your application is available on the devices you have defined in the Developer Console; learn more here: https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=go&answer=1286017.
Step 5: Fill in the Contact information
Fill in the form with:
- your Website URL
- your email address
- your phone number
Step 6: Give your consent and publish
- In the Consent field, select the checkboxes in order to commit yourself to respect:
- the Android Content Guidelines,
- the United States export laws.
- Go back to the top of the page and click Publish.